New year, new me! At least, that’s what the team at Flodesk must have been thinking as the new year rolled around.
Flodesk recently added a few exciting and insightful tools to its platform called Folders and Segments. And today, we’re going in-depth on how to navigate each feature so that you can start taking your email marketing to the next level.
P.S. Make sure to stick around for the end because I’ll be giving you a secret tip on how to land in your subscribers’ inbox instead of their spam folder. Plus, a Flodesk discount code so you’ll have no excuses not to focus on your email marketing. 😉
Before we get into what the Folders feature is, it’s important to know the difference between newsletters.
Email types cheat sheet:
- Campaigns: These are for specific projects. For example, I have a campaign in Flodesk that is for JV webinar promotions.
- Segments: This is for addressing a targeted portion of your audience. For example, your clients.
- Types of newsletters: This is for themes you may have planned out. For example, a weekly email that focuses just on marketing tips.
Easy enough, right? Now that we’ve got that covered, we can talk more about Folders.
Folders is a new feature on Flodesk and it is absolutely genius. With folders, you can organize your audience based on how you run your email marketing (see above). This is great because you can easily access specific newsletters in one, categorized place — like a filing cabinet.
And if I’m being honest, if I’ve learned anything from 2020 when I transformed my home into an office and schoolyard, it’s that organization is key for a sane mind — and it seems like Flodesk had the same epiphany.
Here’s how to access and create new Folders:
- Go to your Flodesk dashboard. You’ll see “My emails” and “Folders” — click on the latter to start creating different Folders.
- To organize past newsletters, click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner of any one. Click “Organize” → “Move to folder…” → select your folder.
While segments on Flodesk aren’t new, they modified the feature so that you can color-code all your segments (where are all my visual learners at? 🎉).
How to color-code your segments:
- At the top of Flodesk, you’ll see a menu that lists Emails, Forms, Workflows, and Audience. Click on “Audience”.
- Once you’re in Audience, click on “Segments”.
- From there, you can color-code all your segments how you’d like by clicking the three dots in the upper right-hand corner. I segment my lists based on where the emails came from. So for example, I have a segment just for my CarryLove Designs clients since I mass-communicate with them often.
- Coming-soon features
OK y’all, these coming-soon features on Flodesk are something I’m super pumped about. Here’s what they include:
I had the opportunity to beta-test the soon-to-be released analytics feature, and let me be the first to tell you: This feature is going to be essential for your email marketing strategy.
The types of analytics you can expect are more accurate data on when to send email campaigns and a detailed look into who is looking at your emails.
Overall, this new analytics tool is going to give you a solid idea on how to effectively communicate with your audience because you can strategize how and when to send out your emails.
New subscriber details
New subscriber details are similar to the overall analytics, since this feature will give you an in-depth look into the common patterns of your most active and inactive subscribers.
Improve my account experience
Something that I love about Flodesk and why I’m basically their company cheerleader is because they’re always seeking to improve their platform. Last year, we had the opportunity to sit down with the co-founders, Martha and Rebecca, and learn more about what’s to come in the future of Flodesk.
- Flodesk secret tip
You made it to the end! This means it’s time for how to manage your Flodesk subscriber list so that you can stay out of your subscribers’ spam box and land in their inbox.
How to get your emails in your subscribers’ inboxes and out of their spam folder:
- Click “Audience” on the top menu.
- Select “Filter” and check “Active.” Under activity select, “90 or more days ago”. Choose “All” for Segments and then “Apply filter”.
- A list will formulate and then click “Select all” and “Add to segment”.
By doing this, you can create a new segment with your least active subscribers (you can call it something like, “Inactive January 2021”). Now, you can send a short and simple email just to that segment saying something along the lines of:
“Hey, I see you haven’t been active. You haven’t opened our emails within the last 90 days — we just wanted to see if you’re interested. Let us know if you are by hitting reply. If not, you’ll be removed from our list within the next 7 days.”
After your selected time period (seven days, 14 days, etc.), you can go back to this segment, do that process again, and delete the inactive subscribers.
You’ll want to do this about once a quarter or at least twice a year so that your list is always cleaned out of all your inactive subscribers. Why is this so important?
If you have a high inactive to active subscriber ratio, email platforms will mark your newsletters as potentially suspicious. But the more interactive and engaged your subscribers are, the more likely your newsletters will end up in their inbox.
You wouldn’t want subscribers on your list who haven’t engaged anyway — it would be a vanity metric in the end. It’s much more rewarding when you have an audience who is excited about your emails and who are invested in your brand.
Flodesk promo code
OK, and one more thing for all your hardwork and notetaking (you did take notes, right?).
I managed to snag a Flodesk discount code so you can start crushing your email marketing! Use promo code CARRYLOVEDESIGNS for 50% off — this makes Flodesk a mere $19 per month… forever. It doesn’t matter if you have 100 email subscribers or 100,000 — it will always be $19.
Start Taking Control of Your Email Marketing
Hopefully this blog post helped you out and you’ll feel confident every time you log into Flodesk! What new feature are you looking forward to the most?